Monday, May 16, 2005

I've a Confession ... I'm a Potterphile

I guess the first step is admitting U have a problem, right? Well, I admit it. I'm ... o.k., into my second quartery century and I'm helplessly addicted to Harry Potter. I thought I would take a couple of months to re-read books 4 and 5 (that's Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 4 the unitiated) before July, because that's when the NEW book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, arrives!

So, I thought instead of going out and partying Friday night, like I normally do, I would stay home, not get drunk, not flirt with some random boy whom I didn't even mean to flirt with, I would be sensible, take a night off, and curl up with a good book (after I watched "In Good Company" - a great film by the way - Topher Grace is 2 fucking CUTE 4 words - and I digress). So, I picked up Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I did not expect to so easily get sucked into it again. I did not expect to forgo food and showering (ok I did break at one point for Chinese Food and a 5 minute wash up) and stay on my bed all weekend. I definitely did not expect to dive into the Order of the Phoenix after I'd read all 734 pages of Goblet of Fire. And it's absolutely absurd that I stayed up til 3:30 last night reading this damned book when I just read it two years ago! I simply couldn't put it down. It's escapism like I've never known. I think I'm a wizard. I really do. (just kidding)

But seriously, are there groups for individuals like me? I don't mean the fanatical groups that would urge U 2 indulge in such fanatical behaviour, I mean support groups to cure me of this odd addiction?

The good news about this weekend is I didn't have a drop to drink (that seems to be what I've been doing with my weekends lately, startling when I stopped to think about it), I didn't agonize over the the big empty hole that is supposed to be my lovelife, I didn't become consumed with what I was doing next to further my fledgling music career or get frustrated with why it was still fledgling ... simply put, I was quite relaxed and quite quite happy. Who knew reading about dragons and dark wizards and Durmstrang and Albus Dumbledore and O.W.L.s and three incredible friends who see each other through everything could have that effect? Well, I did ... I guess I just forgot.

Now I have the new Star Wars Movie to look forward to this week ... Episode III: Revenge of the Sith ... not to mention a trip to Cedar Point - home of the biggest bad ass roller coasters in the world. It's about time I was happy about something again. It feels kinda nice.

"All I really want is 2 be happy and 2 find a love that's mine. It would be so sweet." - Mary J. Blige, Be Happy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home